Philadelphia Museum of Art Perelman Building
by Gluckman Tang Architects
The Perelman Building is the first phase of a master plan to expand and modernize the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Located directly across from the main museum, the building was originally the 1927 Art Deco headquarters of the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company. Eventually acquired by the museum, the existing building was completely restored, renovated, and expanded with an addition to the back of the building. The new facility houses museum administration, art storage, archives, galleries, a library, and a cafe. A skylight galleria filled with natural light unites the existing building and new addition and supports a multitude of museum events. Circulation is carefully arranged between the existing building and new addition for ease of public access without interference to museum functions.
Architect: Gluckman Tang Architects
Role: Project Architect
Photographers: David Heald, David Allee